Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

It's a New Day

So, I had this crazy idea for my new years resolution: Attend a different church every week and blog about it for an entire year. Just writing those words creates a not-so-subtle doubt within me that I could possibly undertake such a huge commitment. Nonetheless, here I am. Filled with both excitement and anxiety. Here's how I see this unfolding...

I have already posted an ad on Craigslist soliciting ideas for different churches to attend. As of today, I have 8 churches in the queue. It doesn't matter what the denomination. They don't have to be Christian churches. Just holy houses of God that teach some sort of lesson related to our Creator.

My job is to simply attend these churches, temples, synagogues etc. on a weekly basis, write about the experience, and put the lesson learned into practice each week. For example: If this Sunday I attend St. Micheal's church in the West End of Richmond (www.saint-mikes.org) and the sermon is about FAITH, I will test my faith during the week and write about how it affected my life. I might also write about the church itself, the people, the sermon, the practices and rituals.

Really, I'm leaving this project up to God. He can be as flexible as He wants when deciding how it takes shape. I have full FAITH that however it works out, it will be His will. Who knows, I might start this project and bail the first week. I wouldn't put it past me. I have grand ideas that go nowhere often. However, this one feels different. At the risk of sounding TOTALLY cliched...this project feels.... Purposeful.

My sincere hope is that I will learn invaluable lessons, attend some amazing churches, stick to my first new years resolution EVER, exercise my writing muscle and learn a ton about different religions.

Here are the first 8 houses of God that I will attend. Probably not in this order. Right now, I'm thinking my first will be Unity of Richmond (www.unityrichmond.org) I'm just so curious about this one!

1. First Baptist - Monument and Blvd
2. Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints - Pump Road
3. Unity of Richmond
4. Unity Baptist Church
5. St. Michaels
6. St. Mary's
7. Ekoji Temple
8. Unity of BonAir

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica - I applaud your openness! I strongly believe that all of us only know "part of the TRUTH" and we need to keep searching for the road our Creator puts before us. I'm a member of St. Matthias; I've only had long-term memberships in the Church of Christ (Disciples of Christ sometimes called), the Presbyterian Church and the Episcopal Church. May you have a marvelous year! Marilynn Swenson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your encouragement Marilynn! I agree that we ALL know "part of the TRUTH" That alone gives me cause to celebrate. Thank you for your comment.

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica,
    After our discussion last night I am even more convinced that you have undertaken a worthy discovery process.
    I am proud of you! Proud because you have stepped out of your comfort zone (which may not be so surprising given other things you have done). Proud because you been open to this process and embraced change.
    I am also impressed! The Blog is well written and informative. Your expressions are heart-felt and joyful.
    You have shown me that, "We are not the people we are because it serves us. We are who we are because it serves God".
    Well done... Love, 'Johnnie'

    ReplyDelete
  4. looking forward to hearing more

    ReplyDelete