Search This Blog

Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Break Up

I've been struggling with the fact that I have been spending so much time with the LDS church studying their beliefs and haven't given the other churches the same amount of time and attention. So with much consideration, today I went ahead and cut the cord. I officially broke it of with the Mormons. Being my people pleasing self, it took all the courage I had to call up the Elders and let them know I wouldn't be attending church this Sunday, nor do I expect them to show up next week for our previously scheduled Bible and Book of Mormon study.

The Elder I spoke with seemed genuinely disappointed that I wouldn't be occupying the seat beside him in the Celestial Kingdom, but he said he understood and respected my need to continue exploring. I let him know that it wasn't him...it was me. I just wasn't ready for a committed church relationship. So, I'm excited that now I have Sunday free! I'm going to do some research today to figure out where I want to go.

After speaking with some family members about this project, I realized that I was hovering around my comfort zone in my selection of church's so far. While the LDS community was definitely a bit abstract for what I was used to, I think it's time for me to get out there and explore something I know nothing about. My initial thought was the Jehovah Witness church, but I have a funny feeling I'd be going through another break up next week if I went down that road now.

I've called the Church of Scientology about 5 times in the past 2 weeks and I have yet to get through to anyone but I would like to go there soon. I've ordered the book written by L. Ron Hubbard so I'll be well prepared when the time comes and they do finally pick up their phone.

I'll have to give this a bit more thought.

1 comment:

  1. I think the Church of Scientology will by far be the most unique. The belief system is unlike any of the others from what I understand. I'm very interested to hear about that one when it happens.

    ReplyDelete